One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A public holiday held on the anniversary of the end of World War I (November 11) to honor US veterans and victims of all wars. It replaced Armistice Day in 1954.
- ‘Be Good, Smile Pretty will be aired nationally by PBS on November 11, Veterans Day.’
- ‘Both the Washington Post and the Washington Times tell the story of Eugene Simpson in honor of Veterans Day today.’
- ‘On this Veterans Day, about 180,000 members of the National Guard and reserves are serving on active military duty.’
- ‘And as we go to break, we show you a live picture of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial here in Washington on this Veterans Day in the United States, 2001.’
- ‘In the USA, Remembrance Day is known as Veterans Day.’
- ‘Regular speeches in this series cover Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Army Birthday / Flag Day, Independence Day and Veterans Day.’
- ‘President Bush, Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld, and the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs have all published eloquent messages for this Veterans Day.’
- ‘I was going to give a Veterans Day speech in Westchester at 11:00.’
- ‘I ask that you set aside a moment this Veterans Day to remember the service and sacrifices of American veterans, past and present.’
- ‘Let's agree on this: Veterans Day should have no apostrophe because the government says so.’
- ‘CNN's Thomas Roberts has been probing that question this Veterans Day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.