One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for idocrase
- ‘The veins are surrounded by a 5-to 10-cm-wide alteration zone that consists of calcite, dolomite, diopside, hedenbergite, vesuvianite, and base-metal sulfides.’
- ‘The new edition also adds the important vesuvianite locality at Asbestos, Quebec, which was absent in the 1960 book.’
- ‘The theme for the 2003 competition was vesuvianite, and with thirty-eight entries, judging became a serious business.’
- ‘Vesuvianite forms as a result of contact metamorphism on impure limestones and is usually found with other exotic minerals.’
- ‘The locality has been worked exclusively for garnet and vesuvianite specimens by mineral collectors and mineral dealers.’
Late 19th century: from Vesuvius + -an + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.