Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become vesicular.
- ‘It occurs when the hot gasses accompanying the ejecta, together with trapped air and gas being released by the ejecta as it vesiculates, forms an air cushion around each particle preventing it from coming into contact with adjacent particles.’
- ‘Second, Dan Johnson is overseeing a microgravity experiment designed to measure minute changes in mass as magma moves and vesiculates.’
- ‘Once inside the cytoplasm the original envelope of the sperm vesiculates and is gradually dismantled.’
- ‘Red blood cells which lack the ability to vesiculate cause a disease with red blood cell destruction.’
- ‘The cephalic end of the worm produces an indurated papule that vesiculates and eventually ulcerates.’
Containing or covered with vesicles or small cavities.
- ‘The only other discrete difference appears to be the vesiculate swellings in the peridium, and the phylogenetic significance (heritability, stability) of this trait is poorly defined.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.