The most important Buddhist festival, commemorating the birth, enlightenment, and death of the Buddha, and celebrated at the full moon in the Indian month of Vaishaka (April–May)
- ‘Chanting and praying are an important part of Wesak.’
- ‘One of the most important festivals of all is Vesak at the full moon in May when the birth, enlightenment and decease of the Buddha are remembered.’
- ‘The TPF called off its campaign on the Buddhist festival of Vesak, but warned protests would resume.’
- ‘I remember during Vesak and other Buddhist festivals the inmates organised meals and other things for passers-by.’
- ‘The lord of Buddha's birthday falls on Wesak which is the full moon in May and is considered the most important full moon of the year, honoring the great blessing of earth and the fullness of the spring.’
Sinhalese vesak, via Pali from Sanskrit vaiśākha, denoting the month April–May.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.