One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The band of frequencies between 3 and 30 kilohertz.
- ‘Recent acoustical studies indicate that males may vocalize to attract females by using a very low frequency call referred to as the ‘A’ call.’
- ‘In some range, in some of the frequencies, very low frequencies she'll be 100 times as good as an ordinary hearer.’
- ‘Foghorns have a very high amplitude, and a very very low frequency.’
- ‘The Vanguard's towed sonar array is the Type 2046, which provides passive search capability and operates at very low frequency.’
- ‘Tiny insects - thornbugs are about a half inch long - can produce very low frequency sounds more commonly associated with larger animals.’
- ‘In 1952, the U.S. Navy built a very low frequency transmitting station located at Jim Creek, in Oso, Wash., and it is still in operation.’
- ‘In the T3 simulation, Ala 21 forms hydrogen bonds not at all or at a very low frequency.’
- ‘If we take a look at very low frequency sounds dogs are actually worse at those than we are, so human beings are more sensitive.’
- ‘This approach helps to reduce the size of the satellites, which do not need to turn out very low frequencies.’
- ‘He recorded very low frequency, large amplitude signals which meant all the nerves were doing the same thing at the same time.’
- ‘A more potent RF weapon currently under development is the high powered very low frequency modulator.’
- ‘The very low frequencies mean that the signal can penetrate far below the surface of the sea, reaching the deeply submerged vessels.’
- ‘Very high and very low frequency sounds are what make up that most nonexistent of genres, microsound.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.