Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A common African guenon with greenish-brown upper parts and a black face.
- ‘Tsavo West is filled with crocodiles, vervet monkeys, antelope, baboons, giraffes and hippos.’
- ‘What is true of vervets is almost certainly true of us.’
- ‘This Forrest is home to baboons and vervet monkeys.’
- ‘Among baby vervet monkeys, the males even prefer to play with trucks and the females with other kinds of toys!’
- ‘One can observe these reactions in vervet monkeys, which give a different alarm call for each class.’
- ‘Look out, too, for vervet monkeys, baboons - and giant tortoises.’
- ‘Humans, apparently just like vervets, can't resist observing, memorizing, and uttering distinctions.’
- ‘That research, involving vervet monkeys, linked abnormal serotonin activity to poor impulse control and aggression in the monkeys.’
- ‘They were studying vervet monkeys living freely in their natural state in Amboseli National Park in Kenya.’
- ‘A great many of us are familiar with the baboon and vervet monkey.’
- ‘Among the monkeys species found in East Africa are the blue or syke monkey, the vervet monkey and the colobus monkey.’
- ‘And the vervet monkey, Larry, they're in troops of 50 to 100 to 200.’
- ‘Florida teems with other non-native species - from African monitor lizards to vervet monkeys.’
- ‘A free-ranging vervet monkey, baboon, or macaque recognizes other members of his group as individuals.’
- ‘Fairbanks has found similar results in a study of impulsivity in female vervets, not yet published.’
- ‘What motives drive the leader of a group of vervet monkeys to take risks on behalf of all, especially since he joined them from another tribe?’
Late 19th century: from French, of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.