One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The solving of problems using conventional logical processes.Contrasted with lateral thinking
- ‘With vertical thinking categories, classifications and labels are fixed, with lateral thinking they are not.’
- ‘Lateral thinking enhances the effectiveness of vertical thinking by offering it more to select from.’
- ‘Mr De Bono coined the phrases lateral and vertical thinking, we think diagonally.’
- ‘In vertical thinking, one moves forward by sequential steps each of which must be justified.’
- ‘Rule-based vertical thinking makes perfect sense for ballet and competition ballroom dance for example.’
- ‘Limitations of vertical thinking include being right at every stage and having everything rigidly defined.’
- ‘Let's start with vertical thinking, as this is the easiest concept - or type of thinking - to start with.’
- ‘The report presents Peggy McIntosh's typology and vertical thinking construct as one kind of curriculum approach.’
- ‘To persist with vertical thinking when one should be using lateral thinking is dangerous.’
- ‘Thus where vertical thinking focuses on the answers, lateral thinking generates questions and hypotheses.’
- ‘It goes from the global toward the concrete through a sequential and logical thinking process, a vertical thinking process.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.