Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An alphabetized file for pamphlets and other small publications that do not merit a call number in a library system.
- ‘Electronic vertical files may be viewed as more visible and more easily accessible vertical files that keep users connected to their public libraries.’
- ‘The vertical files are labelled a-h, with a in the lower left and h in the lower right.’
- ‘All of her files were in perfect order in three vertical files, and there was an extra desk in the corner, lit by an attractive pole lamp.’
- ‘These are all in the vertical files at the archives.’
- ‘Photos of Hawera before and after the fire can be found in the vertical files in Taranaki Resource Centre, Puke Ariki.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.