Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Green, as a heraldic tincture.postpositive ‘three piles vert’
- ‘These are snap beans right here; we plant about an acre each week and there are eleven varieties, one of which is a baby haricot vert.’
- ‘The soup uses haricots vert, or tiny French green beans (substitute regular-size green beans if you like).’
- ‘Add haricots vert and mix well and allow to cool.’
Late Middle English (as an adjective): via Old French from Latin viridis ‘green’.
A vertical or very steeply sloping part of a ramp, used by skateboarders, snowboarders, skiers, etc., to perform jumps and other maneuvers.
- ‘It had two large bowls, a small snake run and a large street course with banked walls, a vert wall and a pyramid in the middle.’
- ‘The concave walls are four metres or more in height and culminate in what is known as the vert.’
- ‘I voiced this out to Jack as he surveyed the view that lay in front of him, the big concrete depressions and verts, all the while listening to me.’
- ‘It was close to Halloween, and Pat Duffy had a party that night at his vert ramp.’
- ‘The only good thing about this park is they have the best vert ramp in Houston.’
- ‘I saw a group of skateboarders I knew from Austin and asked them directions to the vert ramp.’
- ‘An afternoon on a vert ramp will do that to you, especially if you don't let up.’
- ‘Glen was skating as good or better than when I last saw him at the Boulder vert ramp back in '96.’
- ‘I think I was the first person to do backside blunts on vert and noseblunt slides on vert.’
- ‘I'm not totally sure who was the first do to this on vert - maybe Eddie Elguera in about 1979.’
- ‘It's got one section of pool coping, but it's got 10-foot trannies and two feet of vert in the deep end.’
- ‘Then there is a 10-foot clover bowl complete with vert, tile, and pool coping.’
- ‘I liked watching him skate in circles in the empty spot where the vert ramp used to be before his run.’
- ‘It was way gnarlier than anything I've seen anyone do on vert.’
- ‘Paul Zitzer married his special lady friend Renee this June in a celebration attended by vert skating's elite.’
- ‘Would you rather jump out of a helicopter into a vert ramp or film your video part wearing Corey Duffel's pants?’
- ‘But, after a week of skating vert with pads and not making much progress, they decided to ditch the idea.’
- ‘Behind the vert there is a 16 foot tall vert wall with about 7 feet of vert.’
- ‘I first saw the kid ripping the vans vert ramp about two years ago and he has just been killing it ever since.’
- ‘I came somewhere in the Australian titles, which wasn't too good, 5th in Street and 7th in vert.’
1970s: abbreviation of vertical.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.