Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1One minus cosine.
- ‘The addition theorems for the hyperbolic secent, cosecent, versed sine, and haversed sine are not interesting.’
- ‘It is a versed sine curve, originally studied by Fermat.’
- ‘This computation was effected by using the multiples of twice the versed sine formerly employed.’
- ‘The greatest of all versed sines is a diameter, as that of all natural sines is a radius.’
- ‘The sector is very similar to the one described in the text, except that it lacks the line of versed sines.’
- 1.1Architecture The rise of an arch of a bridge.
versed sine/ˌvərst ˈsīn/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.