- another term for veronica
- ‘This thesis will examine the iconography of late-thirteenth - through fifteenth-century images of St. Veronica's veil, also known as vernicles.’
- ‘The vernicle ‘is the cloth on which the features of Christ are said to have been miraculously impressed when it was used to wipe his face as he went to Calvary.’’
- ‘The Veil of St Veronica is one of the group of Christian images referred to as vernicles or archeiropoieta.’
- ‘Only Julian actually mentions paintings, a crucifix, and a vernicle.’
Middle English: from Old French, alteration of vernique, from medieval Latin veronica.