Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The cooling of seed during germination in order to accelerate flowering when it is planted.
- ‘The plants grown at 16-18°C did not form inflorescences, although they were stimulated by vernalization.’
- ‘After vernalization at 4°C for 72 h, the seeds were germinated at 23°C under continuous illumination.’
- ‘This experiment was repeated in part during 2000-2001: 15 plants received zero hours of vernalization and 15 full vernalization.’
- ‘Indeed, with the montane population, even 10 weeks vernalization of seeds did not result in 100% flowering.’
- ‘Thus, the inputs from the autonomous, vernalization, and FRI pathways integrate to determine the level of FLC floral repressor.’
- ‘Growth conditions of the spring genotypes Lina and Manley were similar to those for winter genotypes except that no vernalization was required.’
- ‘Time of flowering is affected by genes controlling the response to vernalization, to differences in day length and earliness per se.’
- ‘Chilling prevents flower initiation in Fragaria, rather than accelerating it as vernalization does in winter annuals.’
- ‘In addition to photoperiod and vernalization, ambient growth temperature can have profound effects on flowering.’
- ‘Likewise, vernalization can confer a degree of salinity tolerance, as can earlier development.’
- ‘Plants of T. aethusae do not require vernalization for flowering, thus the low temperatures during winter in Kentucky merely delay flowering.’
- ‘Floral commitment may therefore be different in character from stable epigenetic changes that occur in plant development, such as vernalization.’
- ‘In the second year flower initiation is induced after vernalization in the preceding winter.’
- ‘A period of vernalization was required for initiation of synflorescence production.’
- ‘Therefore, recently emerged wheat has probably experienced sufficient cold to permit vernalization and subsequent head formation.’
- ‘Late flowering in the absence of vernalization also allows the seedlings that emerge in autumn to overwinter as rosette plants.’
1930s: translation of Russian yarovizatsiya.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.