Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The equinox in spring, on about March 20 in the northern hemisphere and September 22 in the southern hemisphere.
- ‘The day taken to be the invariable date of the vernal equinox is March 21.’
- ‘It falls on the vernal equinox and marks the beginning of the Persian new year.’
- ‘A fixed overhang designed for optimal shading on the autumnal equinox casts the same shadow on the vernal equinox.’
- ‘Western Christians, therefore, observe the date of the vernal equinox on March 21 according to the Gregorian Calendar.’
- ‘In theory, Easter falls on the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox.’
- 1.1Astronomy The equinox in March.Also called spring equinox
- ‘The tides are especially high right now, as we get closer to Samhain and the vernal equinox.’
- ‘According to the website, Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or after the day of the vernal equinox.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.