One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The equinox in spring, on about March 20 in the northern hemisphere and September 22 in the southern hemisphere.
- ‘It occurs on the first Sunday after the first full moon that occurs on or after the vernal equinox.’
- ‘However, the signs of the zodiac are and always have been counted in 30 degree segments from the vernal equinox point.’
- ‘The day taken to be the invariable date of the vernal equinox is March 21.’
- ‘The performances begin with a Native American Equinox Celebration, which, indeed, takes place today, the vernal equinox.’
- ‘A fixed overhang designed for optimal shading on the autumnal equinox casts the same shadow on the vernal equinox.’
- ‘It falls on the vernal equinox and marks the beginning of the Persian new year.’
- ‘Currently, at the vernal equinox, the Sun is in the sign of Pisces, so this is the Age of Pisces.’
- ‘Western Christians, therefore, observe the date of the vernal equinox on March 21 according to the Gregorian Calendar.’
- ‘In theory, Easter falls on the Sunday after the first full moon following the vernal equinox.’
- 1.1 The equinox in March.Also called spring equinox
- ‘The tides are especially high right now, as we get closer to Samhain and the vernal equinox.’
- ‘According to the website, Easter falls on the first Sunday following the first ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or after the day of the vernal equinox.’
vernal equinox/ˈvərnl ˈekwəˌnäks/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.