One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A yellow or brown mineral found as an alteration product of mica and other minerals, used for insulation or as a moisture-retentive medium for growing plants.
- ‘Most soil-less mixes are a combination of peat, perlite & vermiculite and drain very quickly.’
- ‘The seedlings were grown in a sand: vermiculite seedbed until transplanting and inoculation.’
- ‘Plants were grown individually in cylindrical pots of variable volume, containing a 1: 1 mixture of perlite and vermiculite.’
- ‘Clay minerals are mainly illite and chlorite, with only traces of smectite, vermiculite and kaolinite.’
- ‘Use a premixed potting soil, usually composed of sand, peat moss, fine bark, perlite or vermiculite.’
- ‘For direct sowing, sprinkle seeds in double rows on the raised beds and cover them with a 1/4-inch layer of sand or vermiculite.’
- ‘If the problem is reoccurring for you, think about switching from a peat-based mix to one that only contains perlite and vermiculite.’
- ‘The deposit was interpreted to have formed by the replacement of biotite by vermiculite under the influence of pegmatitic fluids.’
- ‘This time I've planted them in vermiculite which is completely soil free and hence should not attract the dratted fungus gnats.’
- ‘Perlite and vermiculite give it better drainage and aeration.’
- ‘Soilless mixes are ideal - they contain sphagnum peat, vermiculite and perlite.’
- ‘Non-sterile cultures were performed in pots containing a 2: 2: 1 mixture of perlite, vermiculite, and sphagnum moss.’
- ‘These soil mixtures should include sand, peat moss, perlite, vermiculite, and fir bark for adequate drainage.’
- ‘Twenty-day-old seedlings of these plants grown in pots containing vermiculite were used to observe stomatal aperture.’
- ‘Compost, good garden soil, or loam can be used for up to half of the total mix, with the other half being vermiculite and/or perlite.’
- ‘In Wyoming, corundum has been found in gneiss, pelitic schist, and vermiculite schist.’
- ‘The seedlings were transplanted into pots containing a mixture of 50% washed river sand, 25% vermiculite, and 25% perlite.’
- ‘Thus, further investigations of Wyoming's vermiculite deposits may lead to the discovery of other corundum occurrences.’
- ‘Look for one containing vermiculite and perlite, sphagnum peat moss, a little ground bark and sand.’
- ‘Plants were further grown on vermiculite soil under white fluorescent tubes to observe mature plants and to harvest seeds.’
Early 19th century: from Latin vermiculari ‘be full of worms’ (because on expansion due to heat, it shoots out forms resembling small worms) + -ite.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.