One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chiefly American herbaceous plant which bears heads of bright showy flowers, widely cultivated as a garden ornamental.
- ‘We planted verbena around our crape myrtle, and it has gone wild, spilling over the edges of the concrete border.’
- ‘Should I trim verbena and lantana to encourage flowering?’
- ‘Likewise, a décor as small as a flower picture will capture the holidays with ivy leaves or red verbena, displayed on the wall.’
- ‘There were cookies and jelly candies, too, and a glass of the local verbena cordial, Verveine.’
- ‘Our yard is warm and sunny for most of the day in summer, making it an ideal spot for plants such as pelargoniums and verbena.’
- ‘Use a good mix of trailing plants like Petunias, Ivy-leaf geranium, verbenas and lobelia round the edge of the basket.’
- ‘Nighttime festivities called verbenas are held on the eve of religious holidays.’
- ‘It features a potpourri of verbena, cardamom and ginger.’
- ‘In large decorative pots, pair dwarf ‘Sentimental Blue’ with red verbenas.’
- ‘It belongs to the verbena family and comes from the East Indies.’
- ‘I'm growing an almond verbena, and it is already about 15 feet tall.’
- ‘Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias.’
- ‘For blue choose from gentian sage, lobelia, mealycup sage, nemesia, petunia, or verbena.’
- ‘Most botanists believe it is distantly related to verbenas.’
- ‘This variety of verbena grows upright, and has massed heads of small round-topped flowers.’
- ‘Thrusting through marigolds and verbena, it stands almost 3 feet high.’
- ‘Red dianthus and trailing verbena are spectacular in window boxes that can take our Florida sun and heat.’
- ‘The plants I am going to use include begonias, impatiens and verbenas, which should produce solid mounds and balls of colour.’
- ‘Primrose, sunflowers, sand verbena, and a number of others we cannot yet identify have exploded upon the sand dunes.’
- ‘Look for products scented with essential plant oils, such as lemon, verbena, or lavender.’
Modern Latin, from Latin, literally ‘sacred bough’, in medieval Latin ‘vervain’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.