Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chiefly American herbaceous plant that bears heads of bright showy flowers, widely cultivated as a garden ornamental.
- ‘For blue choose from gentian sage, lobelia, mealycup sage, nemesia, petunia, or verbena.’
- ‘Annuals with good deer resistance include ageratum, ice plant, pincushion flower, verbena and zinnias.’
- ‘Nighttime festivities called verbenas are held on the eve of religious holidays.’
- ‘Look for products scented with essential plant oils, such as lemon, verbena, or lavender.’
- ‘There were cookies and jelly candies, too, and a glass of the local verbena cordial, Verveine.’
- ‘The plants I am going to use include begonias, impatiens and verbenas, which should produce solid mounds and balls of colour.’
- ‘Should I trim verbena and lantana to encourage flowering?’
- ‘This variety of verbena grows upright, and has massed heads of small round-topped flowers.’
- ‘It features a potpourri of verbena, cardamom and ginger.’
- ‘In large decorative pots, pair dwarf ‘Sentimental Blue’ with red verbenas.’
- ‘Most botanists believe it is distantly related to verbenas.’
- ‘We planted verbena around our crape myrtle, and it has gone wild, spilling over the edges of the concrete border.’
- ‘Our yard is warm and sunny for most of the day in summer, making it an ideal spot for plants such as pelargoniums and verbena.’
- ‘I'm growing an almond verbena, and it is already about 15 feet tall.’
- ‘Likewise, a décor as small as a flower picture will capture the holidays with ivy leaves or red verbena, displayed on the wall.’
- ‘Red dianthus and trailing verbena are spectacular in window boxes that can take our Florida sun and heat.’
- ‘Use a good mix of trailing plants like Petunias, Ivy-leaf geranium, verbenas and lobelia round the edge of the basket.’
- ‘Primrose, sunflowers, sand verbena, and a number of others we cannot yet identify have exploded upon the sand dunes.’
- ‘Thrusting through marigolds and verbena, it stands almost 3 feet high.’
- ‘It belongs to the verbena family and comes from the East Indies.’
Modern Latin, from Latin, literally sacred bough in medieval Latin vervain.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.