A very small vein, especially one collecting blood from the capillaries.
- ‘This is dependent upon accessing the capillaries, venules, and arterioles of the dermis and subcutaneous tissues.’
- ‘Blood then goes back through the capillaries into venules, and then to larger veins until it reaches the vena cavae.’
- ‘In the capillary bed, venules connect the arterial system to the venous system.’
- ‘Cherry angiomas are composed of dilated capillaries and postcapillary venules.’
- ‘Little is known regarding the pathogenesis of PVOD or why the disease is localized to pulmonary veins and venules.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin venula, diminutive of vena vein.