adjectiveZoology Botany Anatomy
Of, on, or relating to the underside of an animal or plant; abdominal.‘a ventral nerve cord’Compare with dorsal‘the ventral part of the head’
enteric, gastroenteric, duodenal, coeliac, gastric, ventral, stomach, abdominal, visceralView synonyms
- ‘Just outside each vertebra, the dorsal and ventral roots unite to form a spinal nerve on each side.’
- ‘The nervous system consists of a lobed dorsal brain and ventral nerve cord with fused paired ganglia.’
- ‘If either of these proteins is absent, then the motor axons select dorsal and ventral pathways randomly.’
- ‘The dorsal and ventral edges of the centra are more nearly equal in width in the larger specimens.’
- ‘The waves continue coupled to a series of dorsal and ventral flexions of the whole body.’
Late Middle English: from Latin venter, ventr- belly + -al.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.