Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or serving for the provision of air to the lungs or respiratory system.
- ‘Patients with ankylosing spondylitis rarely if ever develop ventilatory failure without superimposed lung disease.’
- ‘Sepsis can produce ventilatory failure because of respiratory muscle dysfunction and increased metabolic demands.’
- ‘Thus, the ventilatory control system rapidly employs a variety of compensatory mechanisms in the service of its ultimate function.’
- ‘A viral upper respiratory infection may impair the ventilatory function of the eustachian tube.’
- ‘This model is designed to realistically simulate the mechanics of the adult ventilatory system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.