Relating to or serving for the provision of air to the lungs or respiratory system.
- ‘Patients with ankylosing spondylitis rarely if ever develop ventilatory failure without superimposed lung disease.’
- ‘Sepsis can produce ventilatory failure because of respiratory muscle dysfunction and increased metabolic demands.’
- ‘Thus, the ventilatory control system rapidly employs a variety of compensatory mechanisms in the service of its ultimate function.’
- ‘A viral upper respiratory infection may impair the ventilatory function of the eustachian tube.’
- ‘This model is designed to realistically simulate the mechanics of the adult ventilatory system.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.