One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The lower movable front of a medieval helmet.
- ‘When not at combat readiness, the mailed knight would unfasten his ventail, throw back his coif, and turn back his mittens.’
- ‘Covering the mouth seems to have come in when the integral ventail was developed.’
- ‘In one of the World Wars, some tank drivers wore mail ventails on their helmets for the same reason.’
- 1.1 The whole movable front of a medieval helmet, including the visor.
- ‘The ventail is lined with deer skin, and fastens to the brow with a strap and a period-appropriate buckle.’
- ‘He maketh them take off their helmets and lower their ventails, and then kiss one another, afterward he leadeth them to his hermitage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.