Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to sexual desire or sexual intercourse.
sexual, sensual, erotic, lustful, lascivious, libidinous, lecherous, licentious, lewd, prurient, salacious, coarse, gross, lubriciousView synonyms
- ‘Natalie turned her face away at this venereal comment, mostly to hide the blush as she imagined the scene in her head.’
- ‘Streetwalkers are a venereal roulette wheel, but come a lot cheaper.’
- ‘Fracastoro could not resolve the origins of syphilis and didn't even recognize its venereal mode of transmission.’
- ‘For Tancred and Poussin alike, the literal wounds of passion, whether martial or venereal, have been succored by true charity and enduring love.’
- ‘On the venereal horror front, David Cronenberg's 1977 Rabid was recently released on DVD, complete with director's commentary.’
- 1.1 Relating to venereal disease.
- ‘These may be caused by inflammatory bowel disease, local or systemic malignancy, venereal infection, trauma, tuberculosis, or chemotherapy.’
- ‘An appalling number of venereal infections are caused by quite young girls who seem, on the surface, perfectly fit companions for decent lads.’
- ‘Their personal habits are so filthy, that I suspected that venereal disease was wide-spread among them.’
- ‘Even then, you could be at risk for spreading or catching diseases that don't depend strictly on genital contact, such as herpes or venereal warts.’
- ‘In WW I just over one-quarter of the diseases for which British soldiers were hospitalized were venereal.’
- ‘Medics also found that venereal disease increased alarmingly as the troops moved closer to Philippine urban centers.’
- ‘Transmission is by direct venereal skin-to-skin contact, and 95% of sexual contacts of an active carrier will develop an infestation.’
- ‘In the late 1870s the Royal Navy refused to visit, because of the virulence of venereal infection.’
- ‘Genital warts, sometimes called venereal warts, are contracted through sexual contact.’
- ‘Genital warts, also known as condylomata acuminata or venereal warts, are one of the most common types of sexually transmitted diseases.’
- ‘Gonorrhea is a very common venereal disease caused by a bacterium, Neisseria gonorrhoeae.’
- ‘This compounded product is used for chemical peels, actinic keratoses, and venereal warts.’
Late Middle English: from Latin venereus (from venus, vener- ‘sexual love’) + -al.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.