One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian plant of the mallow family, with large heart-shaped velvety leaves and yellow flowers. It is naturalized in North America, where it has become a serious weed of farmland.
Abutilon theophrasti, family Malvaceae
- ‘Weed control with each of the products tested was better than 90% on large crabgrass, palmer amaranth and velvetleaf.’
- ‘If soybeans are exhibiting cupped leaves but velvetleaf in the field appears normal there is a good likelihood that the cupping is an environmental response rather than one caused by a growth regulator herbicide.’
- ‘Predominant weed species at both locations/years were velvetleaf, common waterhemp and green foxtail, with the densities ranging from 70-100 plants per square yard.’
- ‘Large-seeded weeds like velvetleaf that can emerge from deep in the soil are very resistant to shallow cultivation with weeders.’
- ‘Apply with 2 to 4 quarts per acre of liquid nitrogen fertilizer when velvetleaf is a target weed.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.