One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A cotton fabric with a pile resembling velvet.
- ‘On the lawn was a velveteen couch that looked like it had been dragged out of the house so someone could gaze at the stars in comfort.’
- ‘Carpeted floor, tables set with crisp white cloths and large, comfortable, blue velveteen chairs set the stage for the tasty feast ahead.’
- ‘It had those cream coloured walls and carpet, heavy black velveteen curtains and black furniture.’
- ‘Paris came over and sat next to Nathan on the chocolate brown velveteen sofa.’
- ‘His hands are wrapped around a dimpled tankard and he is wearing a modish belted velveteen coat.’
- ‘Underneath the velveteen upholstery lurked thick foam cushions into which my aching body sank blissfully.’
- ‘The cloak is worth £800 because of the silk velveteen.’
- ‘His hands slipped a rich velveteen choker around her neck, a diamond sparkled at the center.’
- ‘Textures included silk velvets, velveteen and devorés, and satins.’
- ‘And Juicy, a newish LA-based casualwear label favoured by actresses and singers, sold out of their candy-coloured velveteen suits in a matter of weeks.’
- ‘She shrugged out of her long velveteen traveling cloak.’
- ‘Woven and printed silks and printed cotton velveteens comprised the middle range of her offerings.’
- ‘I changed my school clothes, leaving them in a heap on the floor and took a velveteen dress from the armoire.’
- ‘There behind the checkbook and bank statements was a heavier object wrapped in velveteen fabric.’
- ‘Come daylight, I decided to try the first class bar with its rows of squishy green velveteen sofas and tatty carpet.’
- 1.1velveteensdated Trousers made of velveteen.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.