Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A cotton fabric with a pile resembling velvet.
- ‘It had those cream coloured walls and carpet, heavy black velveteen curtains and black furniture.’
- ‘The cloak is worth £800 because of the silk velveteen.’
- ‘Paris came over and sat next to Nathan on the chocolate brown velveteen sofa.’
- ‘And Juicy, a newish LA-based casualwear label favoured by actresses and singers, sold out of their candy-coloured velveteen suits in a matter of weeks.’
- ‘There behind the checkbook and bank statements was a heavier object wrapped in velveteen fabric.’
- ‘Underneath the velveteen upholstery lurked thick foam cushions into which my aching body sank blissfully.’
- ‘She shrugged out of her long velveteen traveling cloak.’
- ‘His hands are wrapped around a dimpled tankard and he is wearing a modish belted velveteen coat.’
- ‘Come daylight, I decided to try the first class bar with its rows of squishy green velveteen sofas and tatty carpet.’
- ‘On the lawn was a velveteen couch that looked like it had been dragged out of the house so someone could gaze at the stars in comfort.’
- ‘His hands slipped a rich velveteen choker around her neck, a diamond sparkled at the center.’
- ‘Textures included silk velvets, velveteen and devorés, and satins.’
- ‘Carpeted floor, tables set with crisp white cloths and large, comfortable, blue velveteen chairs set the stage for the tasty feast ahead.’
- ‘I changed my school clothes, leaving them in a heap on the floor and took a velveteen dress from the armoire.’
- ‘Woven and printed silks and printed cotton velveteens comprised the middle range of her offerings.’
- 1.1dated Trousers made of velveteen.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.