A rich white sauce made with chicken, veal, pork, or fish stock, thickened with cream and egg yolks.
- ‘We started with an appetiser of celeriac velouté and ham hock tortellini, which was followed by seared scallops ceviche and cucumber jelly, then pot-roasted lobster with foie gras.’
- ‘My first appetizer was a delicious velouté, infused with roasted garlic and folded with bits of cod and salty pancetta.’
- ‘A seared fennel-scented halibut with saffron mash, roast plum tomato and red pepper velouté was beautifully presented, with the fish as firm and fleshy as desired.’
- ‘The golden butternut squash velouté with escargot needed to be thicker to live up to its name, and more complex to live up to its price tag.’
- ‘Local produce is of a very high standard, and the braised fillet of turbot and scallop with spinach, asparagus and vermouth velouté highlighted just how good the fish is.’
- ‘The broth was rich and tasty, a creamy, pink-tinted velouté of shrimp.’
French, literally velvety.