One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A plush woven fabric resembling velvet, chiefly used for soft furnishings, casual clothing, and hats.
- ‘There were dresses made out of terrycloth and macramé and velour and shorts that were really skirts and sweaters that doubled as jackets.’
- ‘There are 87 bedrooms, all in country-house style, and the newly decorated executive rooms, some with four-poster beds, feature darker, lusher colour schemes in opulent damasks and velours.’
- ‘Velvet, faux fur and velour are rich, soft to the touch fabrics that can be used for comforters, blankets and throw pillows.’
- ‘She is also quick to point out that there's more to her than just being a footballer's girlfriend and spending money on pink velour leisure suits.’
- ‘Since I had about a half hour to wait for breakfast, I took a shower and dressed in one of my new pairs of velour sweats.’
- ‘The clothes were immaculately cut, Mary's grey flannels, pinstripes and wool velours were really, really good clothes.’
- ‘He made his reputation by throwing his weight around the department, a considerable girth I might add which he unfortunately chose to cover in velour workout suits.’
- ‘He was wearing a black Sean Jean head-to-toe velour suit.’
- ‘Waking up early that day in order to leave extra early and have time to stop at Starbucks for breakfast, Madison and I both showered and then dressed in matching velour sweats, mine in pink and hers in blue.’
- ‘It's a lot easier to clean the kind of mess young kids make from leather trim than it is from some of that plush velour material.’
- ‘Then there's Leon, Marilyn's husband, who goes to work on casual Fridays wearing a velour leisure suit.’
- ‘For all the models there is a new range of interior cloth trims, and for Eleganza models also a choice of velour trims.’
- ‘These velour pants from Hugo Boss are perfect for lounging around, by merging comfort and style.’
- ‘He wears a black velour tracksuit with white piping and white high-top sneakers, and his dark, auburn-tinged hair is cut short on the sides and longer and somewhat spiky on top.’
- ‘I changed into the red velour sweat jacket, a pair of baggy jeans, left my UGGS on and under my shirt pulled on a black ‘Led Zepplin’ shirt.’
- ‘The living room was home to a velour three-piece suite and we used the open fire a lot until we discovered the chimney had been blocked all along.’
- ‘This year I am going to spend Christmas Day slumped in front of the telly in an atrocious velour tracksuit.’
- ‘I walked into a lavish guest bedroom with a four-poster bed and heavy velour curtains.’
- ‘The sport car comes equipped with a leather steering wheel, leather gear knob, velour upholstery, body coloured spoiler and rugged metallic pedals.’
- ‘She was the first girl in the class to get her ears pierced, the first to own a velour tracksuit (we all lusted after it - this was 1980 after all), the first to have her own record player in her room.’
- 1.1dated A hat made of velour.
Early 18th century: from French velours ‘velvet’, from Old French velour, from Latin villosus ‘hairy’, from villus (see velvet).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.