One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Open, uncultivated country or grassland in southern Africa. It is conventionally classified by altitude into highveld, middleveld, and lowveld.
grassland, flatland, lowland, pasture, meadowland, open country, prairie, savannah, steppeView synonyms
- ‘South Africa's eastern coastal zone has relatively high rainfall, but the western veld tapers into the Kalahari desert.’
- ‘It may not be quite as thrilling to photograph a lion or a zebra in a zoo as it is in the veld of Africa, but you can still make some terrific pictures.’
- ‘Dusk falls across the South African veld and the young men trot on to the floodlit pitch for another evening's training.’
- ‘The farm owner said hailstones the size of hen's eggs battered his valuable grazing veld and totally destroyed his crops.’
- ‘While you're down south, check out Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve, a big piece of veld that has traces of Jo'burg's history of early indigenous peoples, going back 500 years.’
- ‘Five kilometres from the city centre is an indigenous piece of veld of great historical importance to the people of Johannesburg.’
- ‘Cattle and sheep were grazed largely on the open veld well into the twentieth century.’
- ‘Klipriviersberg, in the south, has 680 hectares of open veld and unspoilt koppies for hiking.’
- ‘Scattered amongst the rock kopjes and rolling veldt of the north are memorials to other wars from the region's bloody past.’
- ‘Beyond the shops was bare veld; nowadays this is the rundown residential area of Kliptown.’
- ‘The persistent dry conditions in the northern provinces and along the south and east coasts led to numerous fires in which thousands of hectares of veld burned.’
- ‘Remember that when Baker built this house and looked out over the northern suburbs of Johannesburg he saw veld and rocks, and not a single tree.’
- ‘His use of vast unframed canvasses to capture the vibrancy of the African veld, is said to be ‘extremely powerful’.’
- ‘The park has three distinct sections of lush green jungle and African-style veldt that look like they came straight out of a National Geographic documentary.’
- ‘In the west are well-watered hills, rich in iron ore, from which run several rivers to the dry veld in the middle of the country.’
- ‘The Garden is a delight of immaculate lawns and shady trees for picnics, combined with open veld with indigenous grasses, shrubs and trees.’
- ‘Founded during the 1886 gold rush, Johannesburg had grown by the second half of the last century into a Manhattan of tower blocks amid the endless African veldt.’
- ‘When the house was built the view north was largely of bare veld.’
- ‘It is a plot of around 20 acres, with veld surrounding the koppie, which is around 80 metres high.’
- ‘A pride of lions on the veldt in Africa will allow a solitary African to pass close by without harm and so will a leopard in a tree, but they will kill hunters.’
Afrikaans, from Dutch, literally ‘field’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.