One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The display of strong feeling; passion.‘they speak with starry vehemence about their project’
passion, force, forcefulness, ardour, fervour, spirit, spiritedness, urgency, strength, forcibleness, emphasis, vigour, intensity, violence, earnestness, eagerness, keenness, enthusiasm, zeal, zealousness, fanaticismView synonyms
- ‘However, what is alarming is the vehemence with which a lot of the protestors expressed their views.’
- ‘It was a measure of her political intelligence that, despite the vehemence with which she expressed her views, she remained one of her party's stars.’
- ‘Although the content of these responses was not surprising to us, the vehemence with which they were expressed was.’
- ‘Even Bernhard was taken aback by the vehemence of the response.’
- ‘I was surprised and a little embarrassed at my own vehemence, but reactions to Chomsky do tend toward the passionate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.