Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nountrademark in UK
A patty resembling a hamburger but made with vegetable protein, soybeans, etc., instead of meat.
- ‘It also has plenty of options for vegetarians, including veggie burgers and vegetarian ‘chicken.’’
- ‘The chain had already introduced low-calorie salads and a veggie burger.’
- ‘Many low-carb dieters avoid foods such as tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers and other meat alter natives because they contain a few grams of carbohydrates.’
- ‘If I bring a veggie burger to eat instead of the steak they're serving, they ridicule me.’
- ‘Replacing a beef burger with a veggie burger can increase your sodium intake fivefold.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.