A cell of a bacterium or unicellular alga that is actively growing rather than forming spores.
- ‘During meiosis cells exit the vegetative cell cycle and enter a linear divisional and differentiation pathway.’
- ‘Many algal species spend part of their life cycle at the sediment surface, either as vegetative cells or in resting stages.’
- ‘The pollen grain (male gametophyte) is a three-celled structure composed of two generative cells encased within the vegetative cell.’
- ‘These bacteria exist either as spores or as vegetative cells.’
- ‘Species of wheat are classified according to the number of chromosomes found in the vegetative cell.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.