One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for loofah
- ‘The vegetable sponge is also known as sponge gourd, dishrag gourd, dishcloth gourd, loofah gourd, and smooth loofah.’
- ‘The third group of gourds are the loofahs or vegetable sponges.’
- ‘Loofah or vegetable sponges come from the fibrous interior of two species of gourds native to tropical Asia.’
- ‘Many people think these are sponges from the sea, but these vegetable sponges grow on yellow-flowered vines very much like cucumbers.’
- ‘Our vegetable sponges are ideal for the care of feet, elbows and knees.’
- ‘Popular in European spas and Asian Baths, vegetable sponges are said to be the key to better health.’
- ‘Luffa gourds, also called vegetable sponges, need approximately 110 days to mature and should be started early in climates with short growing seasons.’
- ‘Luffa, the vegetable sponge or dishrag gourd, originated in tropical Asia, reaching China about 600 A.D.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.