One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oil derived from plants, e.g., canola oil, olive oil, sunflower oil.
- ‘One of the best is to ensure that your intake of monounsaturated fats is high by regularly eating oily fish, peanuts, almonds and walnuts, as well as using olive oil or other vegetable oils.’
- ‘It is also possible, with a small adjustment, to run your petrol engine on vegetable oil.’
- ‘This led to a substantial reduction in the sowing of traditional crops such as alfalfa and plants grown for vegetable oil.’
- ‘Neutral cottonseed oil is combined with a variety of vegetable oils to produce commercial margarine, mayonnaise, and salad dressings.’
- ‘They were using ghee (clarified butter) while I grew up cooking with vegetable oil.’
- ‘Season with salt and white pepper to taste and stir in remaining vegetable oil.’
- ‘In another saucepan cook the garlic and spring onions in the vegetable oil until the onion is soft but not brown.’
- ‘In a small skillet, sauté onion in vegetable oil until soft and translucent.’
- ‘It produces a yearly crop of around 140,000 tonnes which is processed into products like vegetable oil and margarine.’
- ‘Deep-fry the sage leaves in hot vegetable oil, then drain well on kitchen paper.’
- ‘Dilute two drops of any of these essential oils in a teaspoon of almond or other vegetable oil, and apply several times a day.’
- ‘Vitamin E can be found in wheat germ, vegetable oils, leafy green vegetables, nuts and elsewhere.’
- ‘These days, you can go into a chip shop and get almost anything you fancy fried in hot vegetable oil.’
- ‘About half of all vegetable oil produced is from soybeans - the most used vegetable oil in the world.’
- ‘Use olive oil instead of vegetable oil in salad dressings and marinades.’
- ‘Sources of healthy fats include nuts, seeds and most vegetable oils, particularly olive oil, which is high in cholesterol-lowering monounsaturated fats.’
- ‘Essentially, the cocoa butter is replaced by vegetable oil to improve the eating experience.’
- ‘In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil and vegetable oil over medium heat.’
- ‘Biodiesel is a cleaner burning fuel that can be made from domestic renewable resources such as vegetable oil.’
- ‘Omega - 6 fatty acids are derived from linolenic acid, which is found in many vegetable oils, especially sunflower, olive and corn oil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.