Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who does not eat or use animal products.‘I'm a strict vegan’
- ‘The regime is so precise that half the dishes can be consumed by strict vegans.’
- ‘Since cholesterol is found only in animal products such as meat, dairy products and eggs, vegans consume a cholesterol-free diet.’
- ‘Unlike ovo-lacto vegetarians, vegans have eliminated all animal products from their diets.’
- ‘However, strict vegetarians and vegans are more at risk for low B12 than others.’
- ‘‘There's absolutely no question that it's unethical for parents to bring up their children as strict vegans,’ she said.’
- ‘There is a spa menu with wheat-free, dairy-free and vegan options.’
- ‘All are vegetarians, many are vegans and some, including Ella, are fruitarians, living off a diet of nothing but fruit.’
- ‘This recipe is ideal for lactose-intolerant people, vegetarians and vegans.’
- ‘Nuts play a vital role in vegan cooking, and they're used frequently here.’
- ‘There is an undercurrent of anger among many vegans and animal activists and, regrettably, it has become one of the central characteristics by which outsiders define us as a group.’
- ‘I have no doubt that if everyone was vegan the world would be a healthier, happier and better place.’
- ‘Even vegetarians and vegans are not safe from the food scare epidemic.’
- ‘Strict vegans should look for fortified foods, and take a vegetarian B12 supplement.’
- ‘For pregnant or nursing vegan mothers, it's important to eat these foods as well as take a reputable brand of vitamin supplement.’
- ‘It prides itself on not using genetically-modified food and uses organic products where possible, while also catering for vegans and those on wheat-free diets.’
- ‘Many recipes use animal products, but almost all include vegetarian and vegan versions.’
- ‘Mothers who use soya-based formulas are in most cases strict vegetarians or vegans avoiding baby foods made with cow's milk.’
- ‘Dietary-related vitamin B12 deficiency is rare, but strict vegans may be at risk because their diet excludes the foods that provide this vitamin.’
- ‘Even vegans, who eat no animal fat at all, make enough cholesterol to meet all their body's needs.’
- ‘Marmite-lovers, particularly vegetarians and vegans, benefit from its high vitamin B content, vitamins that are mainly found in foods of animal origin.’
Using or containing no animal products.‘a vegan diet’
1940s: from vegetarian + -an.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.