Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of an aboriginal people inhabiting the forests of Sri Lanka.
- ‘Even Tamil-speaking east coastal Veddas are having their views heard in Colombo for the first time ever.’
- ‘With the new laws it has became very difficult to trace the descent of many of the Vedda people.’
- ‘As you report, the Veddas have been discriminated against by recent development projects.’
- ‘Even during British times rehabilitation and resettlements of Veddas had been considered.’
- ‘There is quite a lot of information on the now nearly extinct Vedda of Sri Lanka but most of it is going back to colonial days.’
From Sinhalese vaddā hunter.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.