One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
adjectiveZoology Medicine Anatomy
1Relating to, affecting, or consisting of a vessel or vessels, especially those which carry blood.‘vascular disease’‘the vascular system’
- ‘One function of the lymphatic system is to return excess fluid and protein from interstitial spaces to the blood vascular system.’
- ‘Smokers have a greater incidence of coronary heart disease, myocardial infarction, peripheral vascular disease, and reduced healing rates.’
- ‘Peripheral vascular disease commonly affects the arteries supplying the leg and is mostly caused by atherosclerosis.’
- ‘Here, we have engineered blood vessels from vascular cells in elderly men.’
- ‘And of course cholesterol levels in the blood are related to your blood vessels of your vascular system.’
- 1.1Botany Relating to or denoting the plant tissues (xylem and phloem) which conduct water, sap, and nutrients in flowering plants, ferns, and their relatives.
- ‘Accumulation was found first in the xylem, then in vascular parenchyma and then in the thick-walled sieve elements.’
- ‘Nutrients enter seeds through the maternal vascular system at relatively high concentrations in the phloem.’
- ‘The most obvious manifestation of this is the development of wood, or secondary xylem, from the vascular cambium.’
- ‘Secondary phloem fibres develop from the vascular cambium although secondary vascular growth remains limited.’
- ‘Xylem vessels, the vascular tubes responsible for water transport throughout the plant, are formed by tracheary elements.’
Late 17th century: from modern Latin vascularis, from Latin vasculum (see vasculum).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.