One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural vasa deferentiaAnatomy
The duct which conveys sperm from the testicle to the urethra.
- ‘Both fallopian tubes and vas deferens have the ability to rejoin after separation although this is an extremely rare occurrence.’
- ‘Vasectomy works by using a clip to block the vas deferens, which connects the testicles to the urethra and keeps sperm out of the seminal fluid.’
- ‘During sexual activity, the sperm travels from the epididymis to the vas deferens with other glandular secretions.’
- ‘Men with congenital absence of the vas deferens, either unilateral or bilateral, may be carriers of cystic fibrosis.’
- ‘These ducts carry the secretions produced by the seminal vesicle and the vas deferens.’
Late 16th century: from vas + Latin deferens ‘carrying away’, present participle of deferre.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.