Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Consisting of several different colors.
multicoloured, particoloured, varicoloured, multicolour, many-coloured, many-hued, polychromatic, colourful, prismatic, rainbow-like, rainbow, kaleidoscopic, psychedelic, jazzy, harlequin, motleyView synonyms
- ‘Strange flashes of varicoloured, rainbow light began to appear and disappear on the path before me.’
- ‘Decoration could be chased or applied, such as borders of silver or gold, or floral swags, laurel wreaths, and stylized scrolls in varicolored gold.’
- ‘A color-plate section on glossy paper contains forty-six photos of cut gems and mineral specimens and includes a color photo of the famous Hamlin varicolored tourmaline necklace.’
- ‘Each little blossom has distinct varicolored markings with yellow and white centers.’
- ‘Thin and with a rock star's tufts of varicolored black and blond hair, Adamz is his band's lead singer, guitarist and songwriter.’
- ‘Blessed with white-sand, varicoloured sunsets and warm tropical water, Waikiki, a must-go resort in Honolulu, attracts millions of visitors year round to bask in its playgrounds.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin varius diverse + colored.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.