A mass of varicose veins in the spermatic cord.
- ‘A varicocele causes swelling due to swollen veins within the scrotum.’
- ‘Scrotal ultrasonography is helpful in confirming a varicocele or testicular tumour.’
- ‘Other benign conditions resulting in a scrotal mass, such as testicular torsion, spermatocele, varicocele, or tuberculosis, must be ruled out.’
- ‘If treatment is needed to improve fertility, a varicocele can be treated with an operation, where the veins are tied off.’
- ‘Repairing varicoceles is often done to improve male infertility or unexplained infertility because the dilated veins are thought to result in poor sperm quality and quantity.’
Mid 18th century: from Latin varix, varic- dilated vein + -cele.