Relating to or involving a varix.
- ‘When thrombosis involves the portal or splenic veins the initial presentation may be variceal bleeding, splenomegaly, or ascites.’
- ‘Patients with cirrhosis were screened by endoscopy for esophageal varices, and those with more than minimal variceal lesions were asked to enroll in the study.’
- ‘Recently, the American College of Gastroenterology recommended endoscopic screening to detect varices in patients with cirrhosis and no previous variceal hemorrhage.’
- ‘His past medical history included intravenous drug abuse and esophageal variceal bleeding, which was controlled by sclerotherapy.’
- ‘The diagnosis of cirrhosis was established by biopsy or by signs of portal hypertension such as gastroesophageal varices, previous variceal bleeding, or ascites.’
1960s: from Latin varix, varic-, on the pattern of words such as corneal and laryngeal.