One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for random variable
- ‘An important consequence of these three points is that the information has to be concentrated in a small number of patterns or variates.’
- ‘All variates were analysed using the SYSTAT or the Genstat statistical packages.’
- ‘Here, one could introduce latent variables, such as the typical liability variate of quantitative genetics, and then model feedback or recursiveness at that level.’
- ‘Hence, this study standardized all cluster variates to a mean of zero and standard deviation of one.’
- ‘In the second step these probabilities are used as independent variates in a model to analyze the phenotypic data.’
Late 19th century: from Latin variatus ‘diversified’, past participle of variare (see vary).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.