Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for random variable
- ‘All variates were analysed using the SYSTAT or the Genstat statistical packages.’
- ‘Hence, this study standardized all cluster variates to a mean of zero and standard deviation of one.’
- ‘In the second step these probabilities are used as independent variates in a model to analyze the phenotypic data.’
- ‘An important consequence of these three points is that the information has to be concentrated in a small number of patterns or variates.’
- ‘Here, one could introduce latent variables, such as the typical liability variate of quantitative genetics, and then model feedback or recursiveness at that level.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.