One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cost that varies with the level of output.
- ‘With the yen at these levels, Japanese exporters could not even cover their variable costs, let alone return a profit on sales in international markets.’
- ‘They have to identify their variable costs, then calculate the money they can save or the new sales they can log adding technology.’
- ‘The thing that worries us is that VisitScotland has substantial fixed costs and the only area where there are variable costs is in the marketing.’
- ‘Auto suppliers gained longer-term contracts, but paid a stiff price in terms of taking on more fixed costs and a constant struggle to match variable costs to price cuts.’
- ‘This drop in variable costs has helped to lift profit margins.’
- ‘Examples of common fixed costs are insurance and depreciation while variable costs include direct labor, raw materials and utilities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.