Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An interruption in the flow of a liquid through a fuel line or other pipe as a result of vaporization of the liquid.
- ‘It will be difficult to pump a gasoline with a high Vapour Pressure without vapour locks resulting at high altitudes or at high temperatures.’
- ‘The Helio's engines proved temperamental, frequently developing vapor locks on starting.’
- ‘In-tank pumps run cooler and reduce the potential for vapor lock.’
- ‘For example, one summer night, 24 years ago, my brand new car stalled out with vapor lock.’
- ‘But the Weber family cited the model's record of 294 fuel vapour locks and 66 engine failures, including nine in the air, and claimed a defective fuel pump was to blame for the plane's nearly flat fall from an altitude of about 800 feet.’
vapor lock/ˈvāpər läk/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.