One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An interruption in the flow of a liquid through a fuel line or other pipe as a result of vaporization of the liquid.
- ‘The Helio's engines proved temperamental, frequently developing vapor locks on starting.’
- ‘In-tank pumps run cooler and reduce the potential for vapor lock.’
- ‘It will be difficult to pump a gasoline with a high Vapour Pressure without vapour locks resulting at high altitudes or at high temperatures.’
- ‘For example, one summer night, 24 years ago, my brand new car stalled out with vapor lock.’
- ‘But the Weber family cited the model's record of 294 fuel vapour locks and 66 engine failures, including nine in the air, and claimed a defective fuel pump was to blame for the plane's nearly flat fall from an altitude of about 800 feet.’
vapor lock/ˈvāpər läk/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.