Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inhale and exhale the vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device.‘I'd rather people vaped indoors than smoked outside’[with object] ‘many smokers have started vaping e-cigarettes to help them cut down’‘there's concern that young people may take up vaping as a less harmful alternative to smoking’
- ‘I started 'vaping' purely out of curiosity and haven't smoked a single cigarette since.’
- ‘For Jordan, vaping e-cigarettes means choosing the devil he doesn't know over the devil he does.’
- ‘Some juices are loaded with nicotine down while others are simply vaped for the flavor, sans nicotine.’
- ‘Chapman is also concerned that vaping enables smokers to get a nicotine hit in places where they can't smoke.’
- ‘I'd much rather take the risk and vape than smoke again.’
- ‘Having quit on the advice of his doctor, he now constantly vapes an e-cigarette.’
- ‘He used to be a smoker, but vaping helped him quit, and he wants to provide this assistance for others.’
- ‘I also enjoyed the tip's blue glow when I vaped.’
- ‘This was the noisiest e-cig I've vaped.’
- ‘Three years after starting vaping, though still on emphysema medication, Boyd's breathing has improved.’
- ‘His concern lies particularly with young people - to whom vaping, with its colourful paraphernalia and tasty flavours, has been shown to appeal.’
- ‘The "smart e-cigarette" is complete with an app so the user can monitor how many times per day they have "vaped" and how much nicotine they have consumed.’
- ‘I used to smoke, now I vape.’
- ‘The ordinance prohibits "vaping" in any location where tobacco smoking is restricted.’
1An electronic cigarette or similar device.‘I've been using a vape now for 15 weeks’
- ‘The second round of rules comes after a March decision to prohibit the use of vapes on county property.’
- ‘I was buying juice for a vape that I had bought somewhere else.’
- ‘Never tried a vape.’
- ‘There's a huge selection of vapes in such pretty colors, for affordable prices too!’
- ‘On first impression the quality of the product is far exceeds some of my other vapes.’
- 1.1An act of inhaling and exhaling the vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device.‘my cravings went away as soon as I took a vape’
- ‘After a few minutes he took another vape.’
- ‘Every two or three vapes I get a burnt taste.’
- ‘Although it may be tempting to "sneak a vape," you don't want to be the person who gets caught and makes an entire plane turn around.’
- ‘If you only occasionally take a vape, this little gadget could work for you.’
- ‘When you take a vape, the tip has an attractive LED that lights up white.’
- ‘As soon as he turned around I took another vape.’
1980s (in reference to an experimental “non-combustible” cigarette): abbreviation of vapor or vaporize.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.