One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rare reddish-brown mineral consisting of a vanadate and chloride of lead, typically occurring as an oxidation product of lead ores.
- ‘He led a field trip to a locality near Barstow where everyone found vanadinite.’
- ‘Although nothing new was found, there was still plenty of pyromorphite and vanadinite.’
- ‘Good mimetite associated with descloizite, vanadinite, and wulfenite has been produced in recent years from the Aurora mine.’
- ‘In March they went to the regular dumps of the Argent Lead and Silver mine for vanadinite, pyromorphite, and crocoite.’
- ‘Morocco continues to astound with its wealth of vanadinite, azurite, cerussite, and erythrite.’
Mid 19th century: from vanadium + -ite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.