Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of sepals or other parts) having adjacent edges abutting rather than overlapping.Compare with imbricate
- ‘The perianth is commonly uniseriate, consisting of 3-5 valvate, basally connate sepals, but sometimes an equal number of petals are also present.’
- ‘If buds are present, it is easy to distinguish the valvate, bright yellow buds of Carya cordiformis from the other Carya species, which have ovate buds with overlapping brown scales.’
- ‘Terminal buds bear imbricate, scaly buds except in the bitternut hickory which has valvate or foliate buds.’
- ‘The flowers display valvate, distinct, or connate sepals and petals.’
- ‘The petals have very brief valvate apices.’
Early 19th century: from Latin valvatus having folding doors from valva valve.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.