Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of sepals or other parts) having adjacent edges abutting rather than overlapping.Compare with imbricate
- ‘The perianth is commonly uniseriate, consisting of 3-5 valvate, basally connate sepals, but sometimes an equal number of petals are also present.’
- ‘The petals have very brief valvate apices.’
- ‘The flowers display valvate, distinct, or connate sepals and petals.’
- ‘If buds are present, it is easy to distinguish the valvate, bright yellow buds of Carya cordiformis from the other Carya species, which have ovate buds with overlapping brown scales.’
- ‘Terminal buds bear imbricate, scaly buds except in the bitternut hickory which has valvate or foliate buds.’
Early 19th century: from Latin valvatus having folding doors from valva valve.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.