Each of Odin's twelve handmaidens who conducted the slain warriors of their choice from the battlefield to Valhalla.
- ‘Perhaps the most widely known of legendary women warriors are the Greek Amazons and the Nordic Valkyries.’
- ‘It was believed that when a Viking died in battle, a warrior maiden called a Valkyrie escorted him to Valhalla.’
- ‘Brynhild, a Valkyrie, disobeyed Odin and was put to sleep until she would be woken by a man.’
- ‘Some Vikings envisioned the Valkyries carrying torches - or reflected light off their shields - as they led slain warriors to Valhalla.’
- ‘Five minutes ago she was screaming like a Valkyrie and fighting like a demon, and now she was being gentle and sorry?’
From Old Norse Valkyrja, literally chooser of the slain from valr the slain + kyrja chooser.