A deformity involving oblique displacement of part of a limb away from the midline.The opposite of varus
- ‘The associated valgus deformity contributed to osteoarthritic changes.’
- ‘The lower extremities were equal in length, and no varus or valgus deformity of the knee was present.’
- ‘There were no patients with posterior or valgus laxity.’
- ‘Prophylactic knee braces are designed to protect uninjured knees from valgus stresses that could damage the medial collateral ligaments.’
- ‘This condition occurs because of repetitive valgus stress.’
Early 19th century: from Latin, literally knock-kneed.