One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the tenth pair of cranial nerves, supplying the heart, lungs, upper digestive tract, and other organs of the chest and abdomen.
- ‘The vagus nerve may run in front of the common carotid artery instead of behind it.’
- ‘Participants had a generator implanted in the anterior chest that was connected to stimulating coils on the left vagus nerve.’
- ‘The smooth muscle portion of the esophagus is innervated by neurons within the dorsal motor nucleus of the vagus.’
- ‘First the doctor may try rubbing the side of the patient's neck where there is a nerve called the vagus nerve.’
- ‘In experiments that required autonomic blockade, cervical vagi were isolated in the neck.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin (see vague).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.