One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A surgical operation in which one or more branches of the vagus nerve are cut, typically to reduce the rate of gastric secretion (e.g. in treating peptic ulcers).
- ‘The patient underwent an exploratory laparotomy, resection of the gastric mass, pyloroplasty, truncal vagotomy, and cyst duodenostomy.’
- ‘Apneustic breathing can be experimentally induced in animals by transecting the spinal cord between the pneumotaxic center and the lower brainstem in combination with bilateral vagotomy.’
- ‘Truncal vagotomy to reduce gastric acid production is the preferred surgical management approach.’
- ‘All gastric operations involving vagotomy included the breach of the pylorus, usually by pyloroplasty.’
- ‘The effects of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor on the response to histamine were mimicked by vagotomy or selective nerve blockade with tetrodotoxin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.