One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation.
handbook, companion, manual, guide, guidebook, reference book, instruction book, abc, primerView synonyms
- ‘It was the type of vade mecum that I wish someone had given me my junior year of high school.’
- ‘Legal Lynching is a convenient vade mecum on the death penalty, descriptive as well as critical.’
- ‘No actor should step on a set without having digested this vital vade mecum.’
- ‘This is a very impressive publication that should become a vade mecum to all those interested in Scottish history.’
- ‘Every generation of young Christians needs a vade mecum to guide them through their times.’
Early 17th century: modern Latin, literally ‘go with me’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.