One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pump used for creating a vacuum.
- ‘Negative pressure is generated by a vacuum pump.’
- ‘Many scientists, particularly Hobbes, had argued that a vacuum could not exist and claimed that Boyle's results obtained with the vacuum pump must be the result of some as yet undiscovered force.’
- ‘The filter comprises a slowly rotating drum, semi-immersed in the product to be filtered, covered in a fine stainless steel mesh, and fitted with an internal vacuum pump.’
- ‘Test solutions were removed from the perfusion chamber by suction via a vacuum pump.’
- ‘It was transferred into a sealed flask and air was pulled out by a vacuum pump for a few minutes until bubbles stopped forming.’
vacuum pump/ˈvakˌyo͞om pəmp/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.