One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An electrical apparatus that by means of suction collects dust and small particles from floors and other surfaces.
- ‘She had to suck the water out of the studio using a vacuum cleaner and use fans to try and dry the sodden carpet tiles.’
- ‘Give me the vacuum cleaner and the office carpet will never have looked fresher.’
- ‘First I swept the floor with a broom I found and got the vacuum cleaner from downstairs.’
- ‘She's getting used to the routine, even resigned to the noise of the vacuum cleaner.’
- ‘I told her how we never had any problems with our vacuum cleaner for the entire year that she didn't live with us.’
- ‘I will use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of any soot on the carpet, though.’
- ‘These conditions are so debilitating that she has no energy to dust or use a vacuum cleaner.’
- ‘A plume of acrid smoke rose slowly from what had been a vacuum cleaner only moments before.’
- ‘Dirt trapped in the fibers can be removed with the floor brush attachment of a vacuum cleaner.’
- ‘The vacuum cleaner is not something that you leave out for guests to see.’
- ‘Make sure you remove all the sanding dust with a vacuum cleaner and a tack cloth.’
- ‘We had no electricity to run a vacuum cleaner and no water.’
- ‘There was no point battling against the sound of a vacuum cleaner.’
- ‘I heave the vacuum cleaner into the small cupboard on the first floor landing.’
- ‘Now it's time to get the vacuum cleaner out just in case some nosey-parker calls round to see what colour your loo is.’
- ‘A vacuum cleaner was jammed against the door to keep the children in.’
- ‘It is true that the sight of Graham wielding a vacuum cleaner at full speed does have something of the fearful about it.’
- ‘A student has been left shaken after a faulty vacuum cleaner started a fire in her house.’
- ‘One day in my shop a woman came in to pick up her vacuum cleaner that we'd repaired.’
- ‘Our vacuum cleaner is left in the middle of the room.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.